National Night Out in Old Oakland (tonight!)
National Night Out is the nation’s night out against crime. Sponsored by the National Association of Town Watch, residents are encouraged to join with their neighbors to have a neighborhood block party, ice cream social or other outdoor event to build neighborhood spirit and unity – which is the first defense against crime. Research shows that when neighbors know each other and look out for each other crime goes down.
If you want to take part in National Night Out tonight in Old Oakland, there are several ways to participate.
1. Shop, shop, shop! – The stores in the PopUpHood are open and staying that way until 9pm. So it’s a great time to check out Piper & John’s General Goods, Marion & Rose’s Workshop, Crown Nine, McMullen and the brand new Umamimart!
2. Jefferson Street Block Party, Potluck and Music Jam – from their event page:
Time to get to know your neighbors by joining us for National Night Out from 6:30-9pm on Jefferson Street between 7th & 8th in front of Old St. Mary’s Church!
* Yourself, friends, family & neighbors
* A dish to share
* A plate & fork (to reduce waste) We’ll be hosting a music jam featuring musicians from:
* Feral Depravity
* mikO Tolliver
Please join the residents, merchants, families and friends of Old Oakland for the 9th Street Block Party!
We will be playing the tunes of musicians that currently reside in or have played in Old Oakland.
6:30p – 7:15p: Artist: D. Edward with selections from The Little Red Box
Additional times: TBD
* Yourself, family, neighbors and friends!
* A dish to share if you’d like to contribute to a potluck
* Blankets or chairs (a limited amount will be available)